You don't have any items in your basket.
Stay In touch?
We can email you our latest ethical shops news, exclusive events and cash saving offers every fortnight!
NEW CATALOGUE OUT NOW
New FREE shop catalogue now available and delivered straight to your door.
About New Internationalist Shops
We follow an ethical buying policy for all products including fair trade items and materials from sustainable sources.
Find out more »
You have no items to compare.
HOW TO SHOP
Welcome to the New Internationalist shopping site. We hope you enjoy browsing and find items of interest to you. If you are unsure how to navigate the site we hope that the following notes will help you, particularly the Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] section, which will take you through the basics.
1) Finding Products
The easiest way to find a product, particularly if you already have our paper catalogue, is to use the Search Shop facility top-right. In this box you can insert the product description, the code or any other clue. You will then either be shown a specific product or all the products which share the features you input. Alternatively you can look for a product by clicking on either the Product Category listing on the right, or the category pictures at the top. When you are in a product category there are two ways of viewing the products. The system defaults to a “grid” layout where you can view basic information on a number of products but you can click to view in “list” mode where you can also see the product descriptions. When you are in a product category and would like to find out more about a product just click on the photograph to go to a page all about that product. And when you are there you can click on the product photograph to see a larger image.
If you want to browse the site you can look through the product categories as described above. Alternatively you can use one of two other search facilities which you will find under the Search Shop box. In Advanced Search you can select products in several ways, for example you could find every product costing £10 or every Amnesty branded product. If you are interested in a product but want to consider alternatives you can click on “Add to Compare”. The item will then be copied to a Compare Products section on the right side and at any point you can click Compare Items to view all the products you have selected.
3) Buying Products
Once you have found a product you are interested in buying you can put it into your shopping basket by clicking "Add to Basket". Once you've started adding items to your shopping basket you will see a running total of the quantity and value of the items you have selected in My Basket on the right side. At any point you can click on My Basket to see a listing of everything in your basket.
When you've finished shopping, you need to click on “Checkout”. If you have already registered with us you should fill in your password and you will then be shown your details for you to confirm. If you are a new customer we would encourage you to register. Once you have done this the only information you will be asked to re-submit each time is your credit card details, which for security reasons we do not hold on the site. You can also view your past and pending orders, and change your delivery address and other personal details. Alternatively you can continue to place your order as a Guest. Please note that we cannot deliver to post box addresses.
If you have logged in then you then leave the site with items in your shopping basket and they will remain in your basket until you return to the site. This means that if for some reason your browsing is interrupted, you will not have to start your order again. This facility is not available if you are shopping as a "guest"; i.e. you have not registered with us
5) Checking Your Order Status
When you have successfully completed and submitted your order it will be immediately sent to our fulfilment house. You will receive an automated e-mail confirming that this has happened. UK customers should then allow 7-10 working days for delivery, and overseas customers 28 days. To get up-to-date information on the status of your order you can either e-mail our customer services team or telephone them (9am to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday) on +44 (0)1709 513999. Please see further information in the FAQs section below which should answer some of your other queries, but if you are still uncertain, please see the help section following for who to contact for assistance.
Thank you for shopping on-line with us!
If you're having any general problems with ordering from the New Internationalist shopping site, please see the contacts page for details of the correct person to contact. Remember that you can phone your order to us if you get stuck at any point. Customer Services 01709 513999 or email customer services. Our customer service team will be happy to deal with your order enquiries between 9am and 8pm [UK time] Monday to Friday. Please include your full name and address when contacting the team by e-mail.
OTHER WAYS OF PLACING AN ORDER
Telephone orders 01709 513999 Credit and debit card orders can be made by phone between 9am and 8pm on weekdays and 9am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday. Please complete the Order Form BEFORE calling so you have all the necessary order details to hand.
Mail orders Please complete a paper catalogue order form (a free catalogue can be ordered from the web shop). Then send this with your credit or debit card details, or a cheque or postal order to: New Internationalist PO Box 61, Goldthorpe Industrial Estate, ROTHERHAM S63 9YG Please note that we can only accept sterling cheques drawn on a UK bank account, or a sterling postal order. Please do not send cheques in foreign currencies as your order will not be processed.
We accept orders for overseas delivery. Your credit card will be charged in sterling and therefore the amount you see on your credit card statement (in your own currency) will be dependent on the exchange rate used by your bank on the day the charge is processed. We cannot deliver to post box addresses - please make sure you include a full street address for delivery. Overseas orders are generally sent by air and you need to allow 28 days for delivery; European customers can opt to have their goods sent overland. Australia/New Zealand/Canada/USA customers please order via your local office's website.
If you are a retailer and would like to see our wholesale range or have any questions please email email@example.com
- Q: How do I navigate around the site and find a product?
- A: There are several ways to find specific products - try the Search Shop facility, or go to the relevant product category, either the listing on the right or the pictures at the top. If you are just browsing try the Advanced Search (which is just under the Search Shop box). The My Basket section on the right shows the quantity and value of the items in your shopping basket. The Search Shop is perfect if you have the printed catalogue in front of you and know the exact name, or product code, of the items you want.
- Q: How do I add a product to my basket?
- A: When you click on a product category (or sub-category) you will be presented with a list of all the items in that category. At this stage you can add an item to your basket by clicking on the add to basket link, but if you want more information before you make up your mind, you can click on the item which then leads you to a full page dedicated to the item in question, with more information, sizes, weights and other information as appropriate.
- Q: How do I find a product from the paper catalogue?
- A: The Search Shop is perfect if you have the printed catalogue in front of you and know the exact name, or product code, of the items you want.
- Q: What happens if part of my order is unavailable?
- A: We closely monitor sales so that we can re-order popular items so that they never run out. Our warehouse then updates the web shop several times a day with their stock figures which means that you should always be notified if something is out-of-stock. This would normally be for one of two reasons. Some of our gift items come from fair-trade or organic farming projects overseas; this can mean long lead-times and so it is sometimes not possible to place extra orders in time for Christmas. And the majority of web customers place their orders late in the year so items can then quickly run out; we encourage all customers to order as quickly as they can to avoid disappointment. If something is unavailable we suggest you order an alternative; in the rare situation that we are expecting further supplies we will give you the option to receive an e-mail to advise you that the item is now available. If for any reason our warehouse discovers that an item you ordered is not available they will arrange an immediate refund to your credit card.
- Q: Is my order secure?
- A: All of your transactions at the New Internationalist Online Shop are secure. Our secure server encrypts all of your personal information (including name, address, credit card number) so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet. When you enter this information it is captured on a page that uses the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol by default. So rest assured, your order is safe with us.
- Q: How can I leave comments about this website?
- A: We welcome any comments, good and bad, to help us improve the site in the future. Please email any comments to Bev.
DELIVERY AND POSTAGE
UK customers: Goods should arrive within 7-10 working days of your order. Overseas customers: Please allow 28 days for delivery. Please be aware that delays may occur in the run-up to Christmas. Help us to help you by placing your orders as soon as possible. LAST DATE FOR GUARANTEED PRE-CHRISTMAS DELIVERY IS 16TH DECEMBER. We are unable to deliver to PO boxes.
Note for UK Customers:
Our larger parcels are sent by a service which requires a signature on receipt, so please consider putting an alternative delivery address (your work address, for example) if you are unlikely to be at home to receive the parcel. If the delivery company tries to deliver but no-one is in, they will leave a card asking you to call either to re-arrange delivery, or to have your parcel diverted to a local post office for you to collect. There may be a small charge for having your parcel sent to your post office.
UK - there are two flat rates for postage: £4.95 for Standard delivery £12.00 for Express delivery (next day Express delivery cannot be guaranteed if order sent by post). If you place your express delivery order before 12 noon Mon-Fri we will deliver by the end of the next working day to any UK mainland address. Overseas - When you select your country in the delivery address section, the correct postage charge will automatically be added to your order. Ireland - £7.50 Europe - £12.00 Rest of World - £25.00.
If you are in any way dissatisfied with the goods you receive simply notify us by email or phone (01709 513999) and return them within 14 days for a full refund. The refund will include the cost of the goods plus our standard UK delivery charge (assuming that you paid P & P when you placed your order). The refund will not include the charge you incur returning the goods to us, unless of course the goods are faulty. Please follow the instructions on the delivery note sent with your order. You will then be issued with a returns authorisation number to ensure that your matter is dealt with swiftly and correctly. Please note that for reasons of hygiene we cannot accept returned earrings or items of underwear unless they are faulty.
We only collect customer information that is necessary for what we do. For example, when you order online, we need to have your name, email address, phone number, delivery address, credit card holder address if different, credit card number and expiry date. This enables us to process your order and to notify you regarding its status (e.g., that it is on its way, or if we are temporarily out of stock, etc.) Your details will be held by our order processing department and by New Internationalist. From time to time we may send you more information about New Internationalist. If you do not wish to receive any mailings from us, please email your full name and address to Bev.